Countdown To Launch Update – Expect The Unexpected.
I am facing a completely unexpected delay in my launch. It happens to almost everyone at some point, but I have refused to believe it could happen to me. I have been pretty adamant that I would be leaving no matter what on my launch date, even if I didn’t have the van build started, let alone complete.
I have even told my friend Patrick on many occasions that all I need to start out, in a worst case scenario, is a mattress and a bucket. 🙂 What I did not count on, however, was the completely unexpected and unfathomable idea that I would lack a key element in proceeding with my launch. Specifically, I have not yet purchased my van and it does not seem likely I will have it by the end of August.
At this stage of the game, having the van is the most important piece of the puzzle. While I’m not without options, none feel financially responsible. A delay is almost certain. I remain annoyingly optimistic though – I still believe anything is possible. My personal belief system also allows for the idea that everything happens for a reason. Perhaps a minor delay is meant to be somehow. So when I ran into my first stumbling blocks to purchasing the van
, I actually didn’t feel defeated at all. My plan has been in play for a long time, so the obstacles did throw me a little bit at first, but there is really nothing that can’t be worked out with a little more time and money. And speaking of money…
Would You Still Do This If You Won The Lottery?
Without a doubt. It seems no matter how much I explain my plan for this grand adventure is a philosophy
of living as much as a lifestyle, people struggle to understand. The only way money impacts my decision is if there is a lack
of it. Still, I admit money is a big reason for my potential delay.
While outfitting a cargo van for this lifestyle is cheaper than buying a used Class B (in most cases), there is a certain amount of money involved. The van, the build, the solar/electric set up, and resolving potential mechanical issues on a used vehicle, are just the tip of the iceberg. There are monthly and annual expenses to be considered as well: cell phone, internet, insurance, van loan payments (for some), gym membership, park passes, roadside assistance, campgrounds when you can’t boondock, etc. While the lifestyle doesn’t have to be costly, there are start-up expenses, precautions, and preparations that must be made and addressed. And almost every full-timer I know advocates having emergency savings
to handle those unexpected situations on the road.
That’s where I am getting stuck. Darn that reasonable and rational (yet pesky) emergency savings idea. Ultimately I could buy the van now, but because I am upside down on my car loan, I would have to use 3k of my emergency savings to get financed. I am all about going for it, being bold and daring, but that emergency fund is not a joke. I have seen too many full timers, with and without a back-up fund, run into scenarios where they were either grateful they had one, or devastated because they did not. I do not want to end up the latter of the two.
Finding A Solution To The Problem.
Finding a remote full-time job would resolve nearly all my problems and put me on track to leave in late September, just a month behind schedule. (a regular income makes said emergency fund seem less pressing) However, finding remote work is proving to be a fairly difficult task when you also need health benefits. Soooo…. I have started looking at temporarily keeping my domicile in AZ so I can get affordable insurance at www.healthcare.gov
, and budget for the possibility of part-time work.
The biggest challenge I am finding, from the employers I have reached out to so far, is their steadfast requirement that I have either high-speed internet or a landline phone. (Hard to do in a van that will be moving) The competition is also fierce for remote jobs, but I feel like I am competent enough to switch industries if I need to.
There are a couple of other things I am working on regarding my car and financing the van, but nothing I can really speak about yet. But trust me, the minute I figure it out I WILL be sharing it!
I have had a plan in place for about 6 months now to be somewhere specific during the first 2 weeks of September and even though my launch is likely being delayed, I still plan to make that trip. Otherwise, right now I am taking it month by month. I am keeping my eyes and options open, my attitude optimistic and my end goal in sight. I’ve never been committed to anything in my life more than pursuing this dream. I won’t let a few silly obstacles prevent me from fulfilling it.